Javbw
> On Apr 24, 2017, at 11:50 PM, Tobias Wrede <l...@tobias-wrede.de> wrote:
>
> In my area in Germany only the big main "Deutsche Post" offices of a city
> have survived.

This is true in the US - I have maybe 3 post offices I can think of in 4-5 KM
of my old house in San Diego.

I went to google maps on my phone and set the zoom to the smallest map where
the scale still shows 2KM as the legend of the scale (roughly 10x20km) on a
large phone.

In La Mesa & El Cajon, I had 7 post offices. In Kiryu & Omama, I had 17. There
is one about every KM downtown and one every 4 KM in the more rural area.

So distribution is going to vary wildly by country.

This might make it more important where there are fewer ones - if I am looking
for a post office in particular in the US - I will have a more limited
selection, so showing the closest one is most important. In Japan, unless you
are in a very rural/uninhabited area, drive for 10 minutes in any direction and
you will hit a post office along a secondary road.

Javbw