Am 25.04.2017 um 05:13 schrieb Marc Gemis:
I still believe that for the feature at hand it is enough to have
amenity=courier, just so we can distinguish it from the traditional
postal_office. Do we need subtags for courier yet ? I do not think so.

We are mapping supermarkets/convenience stores which offer different
products/services for more than 10 years without subtags to
differentiate between hypermarkets, discounters, supermarkets that
offer a services of a licensed butcher, etc. Any attempt on adding
detail to this was seen as unneeded for OSM, yet we demand this level
of detail from a 1.0 proposal for courier services ?

If we are mapping supermarkets with different services and that is enough why do we need to distinguish between a "traditional post office" and a courier?

From reading the posts to this list I understand countries like Japan and UK still have a very distinct separation between the two. OK. If there is the Royal Mail and the Japan Post they can be tagged as operator or brand to make that clear then in my opinion.

But in many countries, including Germany there are so many shades of gray between a full service traditional post office and a pure parcel drop-off/pick up service I wouldn't know how to draw the line. All the "traditional" post offices are couriers as well. And they are banks ("Postbank" in Germany, which belongs to Deutsche Bank nowadays). On the extreme side there are offices of different postal services fully dedicated to letter related services, there are couriers (various companies) and there are Postbank "financial centers". And then there is everything between, as stand-alone shops or embedded into a convenience store, kiosk, bakery etc.

With this proposal how would I tag an amenity that sells stamps, offers registered mail, receives parcels but does not accept commercial mass mail and does not offer banking services? It's not a "traditional post office".

Tobi