I think we may be drifting away from Warin's original question.

If you look at the LINZ meta-data:

http://apps.linz.govt.nz/topo-data-dictionary/index.aspx?page=class-runway_poly

their definition of what an airstrip is:

"an area that consists only of a grass (sometimes limestone) runway in a remote location"

and given that they are shown on topo maps they would be permanent.