This sounds similar to those that suggested adding oneway=no to all streets
that are not explicitly tagged as oneway=yes. All roads without
cycleways could conceivably be tagged this way.
Unless there is some cause for such a tag, for example, noting that a
cycleway once existed here but is no longer present, this tag is totally
unnecessary and adds needless data to OSM.

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 6:50 AM, marc marc <marc_marc_...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Le 26. 12. 17 à 00:22, Dave F a écrit :
>
> > There's been quite a few recent additions of 'cycleway:both=no' being
> > added by users of StreetComplete.
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/8609990
> >
> > There's no mention of this tag on the wiki & to me appears a bit
> > ambiguous. Most (all?) are the sole cycle tag on the entity. Both=no
> > suggests that a cycleway could exist in one direction.
>
> I agree that cycleway:both=no is not a good tag.
> cycleway=no is better.
>
> > What is the reason the developers aren't using the established tagging
> > scheme:
> > https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:cycleway
>
> ask the dev :)
>
> > Note under 'cycleway=no' as a tag of "dubious usefulness".
>
> I could help to see what road have been surveyed and somebody see that
> this road doesn't have a cycleway. Put in urban area, it's a (minor)
> added value. Without a cycleway tag, the cycleway is unknown.

> it's also a dubious usefulness :)
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Dave Swarthout