I agree that this deserves a separate topic, but I want to respond to some
points you made.

I don't like the highway_defaults idea. Default values should be assumed
whenever they are not explicitly given. I don't think that a tag that
states "most of those are probably going to be correct" is useful. In
general, we don't even have a way of saying "everything is OK here". Feel
free to disagree, but I think that the most reasonable path is relying on
users reporting discrepancies. I'd simply apply the defaults everywhere
and, if someone notices an error, it will get fixed. Tagging "this default
is correct" will lead to the same DB bloat as not having defaults.

Using the most common value as default has a major problem:
the most common values are oneway=yes, tunnel=yes, ford=yes.
I think that exceptions to the rule should be tagged, leaving the majority
up for defaults.

I'm strongly in favour of dealing with the defaults on a local basis -
defining defaults for elements in a given administrative area would be a
good beginning, but letting us draw the extent of individual defaults would
(for example) give us an elegant way of tagging maxspeed=30 zones for free.

I think that data consumers would appreciate a system, that would fill in
the relevant defaults for them. I'm not entirely sure how to make it, but
it sounds doable. Worst case scenario would be a special server providing
an "extended" database.

As a final remark, I'd consider a two-level system:
Assumed values are reasonable defaults, but should be confirmed by an
explicit tag when possible.
Implied values are those that are almost certainly correct and only
exceptions should be tagged.

Assumed values are good for the consumers and can be implemented reasonably
safely. This will provide an opportunity to test some of the relevant
systems.
Implied values are what will make the database cleaner, but are more
debatable. I think they are going to be OK, provided that we are careful
about adding new ones.