> The tag provides mapper a way of tagging rivers and streams that is
presently not available.

> That will vary .. year to year and decade to decade ... to much change?

> This too will vary.

I think something might be getting lost in translation, since those
questions were rhetorical. I'm describing my understanding of the proposal
as it exists on the wiki, hoping it matches the intent.

> Intermittent does not equal ephemeral.

I now understand that after reading a few reviews, but the wiki proposal
does not make that very clear. From the wiki articles, an ephemeral body of
water "is only present for short duration", and intermittent "is used to
indicate that a body of water does not permanently contain water". From
those definitions alone, I'd assume that a river could have both
`intermittent=yes` and `ephemeral=yes` and be perfectly valid. However, my
new and improved understanding of hydrology definitions would say these are
separate and incompatible categories of rivers/streams. Page 6 of this EPA
document [1] has definitions that make these things clearer, maybe a
similar approach could be taken with the wiki.

> At present in OSM the tag to indicate an  intermittent flow that only
occurs in winter is intermittent=winter

> The proposal for ephemeral flow in autumn would be
ephemeral=autumn

> Combining these would give
> intermittent=winter
> ephemeral=autumn

> I would think that is easy enough to understand and matches the present
tagging scheme in use.

This is actually undocumented, and taginfo has no examples of seasons being
used as values for the `intermittent` key. With that said, I was also
suggesting that seasons might more appropriately be values for keys
describing "frequency/type of flow" like `intermittent` or `ephemeral`,
rather than having a separate `seasonal` tag, due to the ambiguity of
having more than one flow mode over the duration of a year. Something like
`intermittent:seasonal=<season>` might also work. Maybe I'm missing a
proposal for seasonal values for `intermittent`?

The idea I'm proposing is that there may be a 'catch-all' key that
describes the 'type' of thing that `ephemeral` or `intermittent` are, and
to set `intermittent`, `ephemeral`, or otherwise (`perennial`?) values when
appropriate. What about `flow=ephemeral` or `flow=intermittent`? Then, if
you need to set more specifics, you could use `flow:ephemeral=winter`. This
also provides a convenient hint for what is being described: the flow type
of the stream.

> The intermittent tag already exists .. do you want to change it?

I think we're both considering changes to the `intermittent` tag as
potential options.

> And what if the stream has a seasonal flow in say winter and an ephemeral
flow possible in spring?
> For this proposal this would be tagged
> seasonal=winter
> ephemeral=spring

This is super confusing. Namely, the `seasonal` tag's documentation
indicates whether the feature is present, but in this case it seems to be
indicating that there is a 'full' flow. In other words, I would've assumed
you should tag it as `seasonal=winter;spring` and `ephemeral=spring`. This
becomes extra confusing when combined with the `intermittent` tag, for
which the wiki entry acknowledges there exist different interpretations for
the same tag combinations.

> The same can be said for roads. how stale is that data .. etc.

I'm just trying to get a better handle on the use case. How rapidly does
this tag become stale? Would data consumers use the tag? Would they instead
want a time series of observations, and if so, how frequently? It feels
like a tag that is science-ie, but I don't know whether, for example,
scientists would use it.

1.
https://www.epa.gov/sites/production/files/2015-03/documents/ephemeral_streams_report_final_508-kepner.pdf

Best,