On Mon, Jun 18, 2018 at 10:27 PM, Frederik Ramm <frede...@remote.org> wrote:

Others have qualms about signing up to an American social network platform
> just

to participate in OSM discussions (remember - if the product is free, you
> are the

product).

>From what I have read, others in the IT community have qualms about keeping
their
repos on github now it's been bought by Microsoft.  See, for example,
https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/06/04/microsoft_buys_github/ and the
associated
comments (almost all negative, some so vituperative they would make Linus
Torvalds blush).

It remains to be seen how many of those are willing to walk the walk as
well as talk
the talk.  However, I suspect a significant number have at least duplicated
their
repos elsewhere.  Some claimed they were going to copy their repos elsewhere
and poison the copies on github to leave a nice surprise should Microsoft
try
to harvest their work.

I'm not saying Microsoft will screw up github (although history shows
that's what
usually happens to their acquisitions).  I'm not saying Microsoft will
steal people's
work (they could do that without buying github), although I remember
Stacker's
Doublespace product and what happened to it.  I'm not saying Microsoft will
embrace, extend and extinguish github, but they have a history of doing
that.  I'm
just pointing out that people have other reasons for avoiding github these
days,
and its alternatives don't have such sophisticated comments/discussion
capability,
so maybe that's another reason to move as much discussion as possible to the
mailing list.

--
Paul