On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 12:36 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>
wrote:

Just to comment on the Microsoft side angle here. Inasmuch as history has
> been very unkind to Microsoft with respect to their treatment of open
> source communities and technologies in the past (Linux, Mozilla, etc.),

I wouldn't say history has been unkind.  Accurate is what I'd say.
Microsoft has been unkind to competitors, open or
closed source, in the past, is what I'd say.

> there is reason to believe that they will do good with their acquisition
> of GitHub moving forward and will not screw it up like the way Oracle
> screwed up the Sun Microsystems acquisition.

Erm, Skype?  I'll grant you that LinkedIn is apparently not screwed up
(yet).  Windows update 1803?  Not that any of the
large closed-source companies are much better, and some of the big
open-source companies aren't quite as respected
as they once were.

And here in OSM, the community has greatly benefited from using Microsoft's
> Bing satellite imagery since 2010, and Microsoft has even recently granted
> use of their Streetside imagery for use in OSM as well (no doubt to
> continue countering Google).

There is that.  And I think you're right about the motivation.  And the
same applied to Google getting into mobile
phones.  They all do what they think is in their shareholders' best
interests, and that is all you can count on.

And Microsoft's Bing has been a Gold Corporate Member of the OSM Foundation
> since 2017. So this doubt heaped upon Microsoft is hopefully no longer
> without basis.

Ummm, I think you meant "now" not "no longer."  We can all hope.  A maxim
springs to mind: "Hope for the best, plan
for the worst."

(But yeah, keep discussions on mailing lists as much as possible.)

A good idea even if Microsoft turn out to be excellent custodians of github.

--
Paul