> On Jun 18, 2018, at 9:23 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 19 June 2018 at 08:45, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com
> <mailto:graemefi...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> That's the concern I have with "place" - our lifesavers operate out of a surf
> club, a permanent building behind the beach (lifeguard=base). Each morning,
> they will decide the safest part of the beach, so will set up 200 m's right
> of the club this morning, but tomorrow they may be 100 m's left - that
> shouldn't be a lifeguard=place
>
> Just had a thought as I'm starting to work on a wiki page.
>
> Could we use lifeguard=area (or similar) to show that there is a lifeguard on
> duty somewhere in this area, but not at an exact location, or too messy?

FWIW, I volunteer on a back country ski patrol (winter rescue) and while we
have a building we use as our base of operations the areas we patrol are very
dependent on snow pack and where we notice people going to. Your concept of
lifeguard=area could possibly be applied to our situation. That said, mapping
an exact boundary of the area served would be very problematic: Unlike a
developed ski area there are no signs indicating you are leaving the the
official boundaries. It is, after all, undeveloped “back country”.

The boundary issue may also apply to lifeguards on the beach: Both to the north
and south of the beaches in the town I live in there is no clear demarcation of
where the area served ends (no signs, etc.). Having a few years of observation
and having talked to some of the year round lifeguards, I have a general feel
for the areas but not exact enough to map.

And it may well be seasonal: Most of the lifeguards work only in summer as that
is when the crowds are largest and the city (local beach by me) and the state
(beaches to the north and south of the city) save money by having a greatly
reduced staff and thus coverage in the off season.

> On Jun 18, 2018, at 11:52 PM, Graeme Fitzpatrick <graemefi...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> On 19 June 2018 at 08:34, Tod Fitch <t...@fitchdesign.com
> <mailto:t...@fitchdesign.com>> wrote:
>
> Might want to check if there is some sort of tag indicating seasonal before
> removing from the map.
>
> On the beach near me many of the lifeguard structures are built on what
> amounts to a sledge and are dragged to storage at the end of the summer
> season. In summer they are placed in the same locations each year, if nothing
> else so that the communications and power connections don’t need to be
> relaid. But even if they don’t need power and communications, the visitor use
> patterns remain fairly constant so the location of lifeguard
> stations/towers/structures remains fairly constant.
>
> In any even, depending on the season the aerial imagery was taken you may see
> only an empty stretch of beach. Or you may see what looks like a small
> building from above.
>
> Thanks Tod - sorry, I missed your post earlier.
>
> I haven't seen any seasonal tags on any of the stations I've looked at so far.
>
> A portable tower that get's put away over Winter then goes back in the same
> spot next year is a new one on me, but could well explain some of the shots
> that appear to show a structure, which then isn't there in other shots. What
> area are you in?

Southern California. Two things probably contribute to the local practice: Lack
of crowds during winter and winter storms typically do the most damage to beach
side facilities. I am not even sure that other beach towns near by follow the
same practice, only that the town I live in does.

Cheers!