"you would need extensive external data to determine how to
actually display combinations of names (which obviously depends on the
languages and scripts involved)"

Do you mean how to decide which name is displayed "first"?  On the left /
on top etc?

I think that's up to map designers.

But I suppose the order of the language codes in the value could considered
the suggested order to use
(Eg language:default=ara;fr tagged on the boundary of Morocco would mean:
"Show Arabic and French names,
Perhaps put Arabic first."

If mappers want to "paint the label", as you phrased it, then the name=*
tag already works for that.
But this proposal is suggesting moving away from micromanaging the way
multiple language names are displayed together