On Sunday 16 September 2018, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 16, 2018 at 1:23 AM Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de>
wrote:
> > > Are you objecting to the idea of tagging places as well as
> > > boundaries? What about the protected area / aboriginal lands
> > > boundaries?
> >
> > * I don't think any tagging concept where the language format tag
> > of a feature other than an administrative boundary relation has a
> > meaning beyond said feature has a chance to be acutally broadly
> > interpreted by data users.*
>
> *boundary=administrative *may have up 9 levels in some places
> *(admin_level 2 to 10*)
> Do we need to limit the max admin_level that can be used for the
> language tag?
> If not, why would it be a problem to also search for boundaries of
> aboriginal_lands in addition to 8 admin boundary levels?

I am not really familiar with the legal status of aboriginal lands in
various parts of the world and how use of the names differs betweeen
the inside and the outside.  I have a hard time imagining an aboriginal
land with a distinct and homogeneous language use that is not also an
administrative unit.

If we could discuss this on a practical (and hopefully somewhat
representative) example that would probably help.

> *language:default=<code>* would have the code as the "value" in the
> key=value pair
>
> Examples:
>
> *language:default=de* would be used on the admin_level=2 boundary for
> Germany
> *language:default=fr;nl *could be used on the administrative boundary
> for Brussels
> *language:default=zh;zh_pinyin* could be used in China, if the local
> community wants to show the romanized name along with the Chinese
> characters

I am not sure what exactly this tag is supposed to mean.  Is it just the
format string i suggested indicating the locally preferred form of name
display minus the actual form, i.e. reduced to a list of component
names or is it something different?

And how is the data user supposed to interpret this tag?  Since you do
not want to deprecate the name tag it is not clear to me if it is
supposed to be interpreted in combination with the plain, possibly
compund name tag or with the individual language name tags.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/