On Saturday 15 September 2018, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

> please let us not use "complicated" characters, on some keyboards
> those aren't even indicated and you might need multifinger
> combinations to type them. If the key says "language format" I
> believe for the value we only have to define a separator. The strings
> between the separator will be "formats" and we'll not need curly
> braces to understand it (e.g. "de;fr" or "de+fr"). If you prefer, we
> could allow traling and leading spaces ("de + fr") for improved
> readability.

That is a very different idea and without knowing the supposed meaning
of this list of language codes i am not really sure what to think of
it.

The purpose of the format string is to allow documenting the locally
preferred form to display names - which is exactly what the name tag is
currently used for, just in a less transparent, less consistent and
more difficult to maintain and to interpret form.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/