On Sunday 16 September 2018, Joseph Eisenberg wrote:
> "you would need extensive external data to determine how to
> actually display combinations of names (which obviously depends on
> the languages and scripts involved)"
>
> Do you mean how to decide which name is displayed "first"?  On the
> left / on top etc?

No, the order is simply a matter of deciding if your list is supposed to
be an ordered list or not.  I mean the form in which the different
names are displayed.  If you look at how the name tag is used in
various parts of the world with combinations of different languages
this varies a lot.  I don't know how much of this is just arbitrary
choices based on personal typesetting preferences and how much of this
represents actual local cultural conventions but my intent was not to
impose a culturally imperialistic corset on how names will be shown to
all names world wide but allow mappers to document their local
conventions.  It is still up to the map designers how far they want to
use that of course.

The most common separating elements between different language names in
name tags are '-' and '/' - usually enclosed by spaces.  But that is
obviously based on latin script dominance.  Other scripts and to some
extent also latin script languages have different conventions.  If you
have names in well distinguishable scripts a separator is often
unnecessary and uncommon.

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/