This is France though. The abutters-key would only need to be used in
the United States in order to infer the default speed limits as only
there, a difference is made between residence districts and business
districts. In France and/or the rest of the world, what about perhaps

urban=yes/no?
(borrowed from source:maxspeed=FR:urban)

But I do get the problem of different definitions of what is
urban/"built-up area" and what not in different countries. Some
countries define "built-up area" only within the limits defined by the
"Welcome to Foo-Town" signs (e.g. Germany), some countries define it by
the abutters (if there are houses, then it is built-up area, regardless
of whether it is within city limits or not) and one by whether there is
street lighting or not (United Kingdom).

So, tagging something like highway:legal_type=built_up or urban=yes
requires knowledge of how it is defined in the legislation. As much as
it currently requires knowledge of how urban is defined when tagging
source:maxspeed=FR:urban.
I know that you know this, just saying because it is important to
mention for the discussion here.