On 25/10/18 02:52, Paul Allen wrote:
On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Allan Mustard <al...@mustard.net <mailto:al...@mustard.net>> wrote:

    Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to
    pose questions.

 This is pretty much based on gut feelings and may be partially or completely wrong...

I don't think "amenity" is a suitable tag for a consulate.  Amenities are parks, or toilets, or similar. "Should we go to the park or the consulate for a picnic today?"   "I'm busting for a crap, where's the nearest consulate?"  And I'm damned sure an embassy isn't an amenity (I'm not even sure, in these days of telecommunications, if it serves any purpose other than housing spies, but if heads of state do still use embassies for formal communication between governments they're definitely not
amenities).

Embassies and consulates seem a slightly better fit in office=government, but still a square peg with
the corners filed down a little trying to fit into a round hole.

An alternative ... just use the diplomatic key alone.
If necessary diplomatic=yes could be used where the precise nature of the facility is unknown .. much like building=yes.

I'm not happy with service:*=* acting as distinctions as service is used elsewhere for other things. It complicates editors as they have to do selective matching to figure out which particular
service:* tags to offer up with a particular main tag.

Humm the 'sells' tag has the same problem.
Free form entry is a reasonable way around this .. at least until some use has been made of it to see what is 'frequent' in use.