> On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 4:19 PM Allan Mustard <al...@mustard.net> wrote:
>
>> Please do continue to comment and to offer suggestions, and to pose
>> questions.
>>
>  This is pretty much based on gut feelings and may be partially or
> completely wrong...
>
> I don't think "amenity" is a suitable tag for a consulate.  Amenities are
> parks, or toilets, or similar.
> "Should we go to the park or the consulate for a picnic today?"   "I'm
> busting for a crap, where's the
> nearest consulate?"  And I'm damned sure an embassy isn't an amenity (I'm
> not even sure, in these
> days of telecommunications, if it serves any purpose other than housing
> spies, but if heads of state
> do still use embassies for formal communication between governments
> they're definitely not
> amenities).
>
> I'm not going to worry too much about that particular tagging.
'amenity=*' is so overloaded in OSM (amenity=prison? Really?) that it can't
possibly get any worse. Since I already have to account for a great many
different sorts of cases when processing 'amenity=*' for rendering or
analysis, one more would be lost in the noise. I tend to think of OSM's
'amenity' as having a meaning not too far removed from 'thing'.