On Tue, 22 Jan 2019 at 18:14, David Marchal <pene...@live.fr> wrote:

Your landuse=forestry proposal seems good to me: it is clear enough, and
> the transition process you describe here seems consistent with what I know
> about such transitions which already happened. If I understand you, the
> main problem for landuse=forestry is to include it in the standard style to
> not discourage its use,

Yup.  If it rendered, people who read this list would use it.  If enough
people used it, editors
would offer it as a preset (for iD somebody would have to raise the issue
on github since
Bryan Housel recently announced he was no longer following this list).  A
couple of vicious
circles there.

but style devs rejected adding its rendering before its use spread a bit.

I don't know if they have rejected this specific idea, or even if they were
asked.  It's just
that they often require that a tag has been used sufficiently in the wild
before they consider
adding it.

Some sort of vicious circle, in fact?

As I said, two of them.  It won't be widely used until editors offer it as
a preset and it
renders.  So we're at an impasse.  A proposal to introduce it that suggests
dual-tagging
until it takes off enough for editors and carto to support it seems the
only way forward -
not guaranteed to succeed but it might.

I might even write the proposal myself.  But only after I get a feel for
the mood here.  So
far nobody has heaped scorn on the idea, which is a good sign, but I'd like
to see a little
more support first because if people here don't see it as sensible then
neither will
most ordinary mappers.

--
Paul