On 24/01/19 09:06, Kevin Kenny wrote:

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 4:36 PM Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com> wrote:
Way back in the thread you wrote:
OSM does not distinguish between the sizes of other thing other than by using
the area or a closed way, or dimensional tags.
That was Mateusz, not me!

Hey .. it was me!!! Can you not tell?:-P

In any case, if the sole determinant for whether something is a 'wood'
or a 'forest' is its land area, then the distinctive tag is redundant.
If it is an indicator of 'relative importance', then it may be
meaningful, but will likely run afoul of verifiability.

I am given to understand that in the UK, the 'hamlet', 'village',
'town', 'city' hierarchy is indeed loosely based on services: a
village has at least a church; a town has a market; a city has a
cathedral or a university. Other countries do it differently, and
you're right that at present the distinction is fairly subjective (and
amounts to tagging for the renderer: at what zoom level should a
municipality or settlement appear?) I'm OK with that because I can't
think of a better way to do it!

My point stands.  OSM distinguishes between the sizes of localities (in order
to render them
differently at different zooms) by a means that is not an area or a dimension.
The choice of
hamlet/village/etc. is supposedly related to population size but only loosely,
especially when
some mappers take the number and type of available services into account as
well as
(or instead of) the population.
We appear to be in 'violent agreement', then. Making the distinction
based solely on a dimension is a mistake. If it's 'relative
importance' I can live with it, but need a better guideline about how
to make the distinction. (I don't insist on a quantitative one, just a
loose definition.)

Basing it 'importance' on the population is a 'guide'.
The actual population may not be known, keeps changing and the population could
be based on the area the place services,
not just its local residential area.

It has to be a subjective assessment. And it has to be locally relevant.
See
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Australian_Tagging_Guidelines#City.2C_Town_or_Village.3F
(Caution: I think I have had a hand in those words!)