Am 14.02.2019 um 21:28 schrieb Kevin Kenny:
On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 3:13 PM Tobias Wrede <l...@tobias-wrede.de> wrote:
Still, they are the very minority of situations where a residential (or
any other road) has no sidewalk.
Local cultural assumptions are in play here!

In my (suburban) township, few residential roads have sidewalks, so
the ones without sidewalks are hardly in the minority. People walk on
the ones without sidewalks all the time - about half my daily walk to
and from work is on sidewalk-less roads (and the other half is on a
shared cycleway).

I probably was a bit unclear. I meant to say that for situations where a residential has not sidewalk the cases with foot=no are in the minority and foot=yes are the majority.

But I think we're in "violent agreement" that the default of foot=yes
for highway=residential is sensible, and that tagging something that's
the default already is nearly worthless.

Yes, agreed.

Tobias