> Can you give an example of one of these groups of named islands? If they
are close together and divided from other islands in the area, I would use
“archipelago”.

Here's a small group of only two islands that is definitely not an
archipelago, (as I understand that term, i.e., a "chain" of islands), and
have one name to describe both islands, the Leland Islands:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/20287799#map=14/58.6562/-135.9916

In this case, the original mapper didn't tag them as a multipolygon but
applied the place=island tag to the group as a node. I fact, he didn't even
bother to redraw the horrible PGS coastline to separate them into
individual islands.

Alaska has hundreds of these island groups.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand