On Fri, 31 May 2019 at 11:06, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 31/05/2019 09:46, Paul Allen wrote:
>

> BTW, if we end up with tagging for the function of artificial waterways,
> it would be nice
> if it included leats.
>
> There's some small usage of that already:
>
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=leat#values

Doesn't make any difference to the rendering, though.  Not on standard
carto.

> When trying to translate UK/Ireland usage of that sort of thing into
> something that can be used for rendering, I came up with this:
>

> https://github.com/SomeoneElseOSM/SomeoneElse-style/blob/master/style.lua#L2165

If I interpret that correctly, you're rendering a leat the same way you do
a drain.  From an
experiment (which I reverted) the horror that resulted in tagging a leat as
a canal when
viewed at lower zooms was fixed very nicely by tagging it as a drain.  Not
perfect, but a
LOT better.  At lower zooms (not that low) the leat was rendered big as the
mill pond that
served it and only looked sort of right at z=19.  Ditch rendered a lot
better.  But I reverted,
because that's tagging for the renderer.

I know there's a lot of discussion (going nowhere, it seems) over on carto
as to how to
handle narrow canals, but your fix seems to work and is easy to implement
(far easier
than some of the suggestions I've read).  Probably not perfect for all use
cases, but a
lot better than we have now.

Example of the horrors of using canal for a leat with current carto:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/609805692#map=16/52.0804/-4.6799
At z=19 it's actually close to the true width of the leat.

--
Paul