On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 16:56:49 +0200, Peter Elderson <pelder...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Op zo 1 sep. 2019 om 12:35 schreef Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com>:
>
> > On 29/08/2019 15:52, Peter Elderson wrote:
> > > LS
> > > With the arrival of cycling node networks, the Dutch, German and
> > > Belgian mappers decided to claim (hijack)  the network value rcn for
> > > those node networks. This exception was copied with the claim of
> > > network=rwn for the walking node networks.
> >
> > Would it be possible to try and describe in a bit more detail what has
> > happened, without using judgmental terms such as "hijack"?  I'd start
> > with a link helping people understand what a "cycling node network" is.
> >

> Sure. A node network consists of numbered nodes (signs) with short routes
> between pairs of adjacent nodes. Eg nodes 10, 35 and 22 with routes 20-35,
> 10-22 and 22-35, and then each of these nodes has other connections to
> other nodes.

Some pictures might make it more clear for somebody who has never heard of this
system:

This is an example of a node: (in this case node 55)
https://pretwerk.nl/wp-content/uploads/knopen-lopen.jpg

From that point, individual waymarks indicate the route to one of the
connecting nodes (54, 91 and 56 in this case).
So, along the road between two nodes, you will then find this kind of signs:
https://www.anwb.nl/binaries/content/gallery/anwb/portal/wandelen/wandelroutes/soorten-routes/knooppuntroutes/wandelknooppunt_kvp.jpg