Thanks for the illustrations!

network=* gives geographical scope (local, regional, national,
international) and transport mode (bicycle, foot, canoe, horse, mtb, ski,
skate, ....)

network_type gives network configuration type (chain of ways;
node_network=network of nodes&connections)

The network configuration type is applicable to all geographical scopes and
all transport modes. By adding this as a separate tag the network=rXn tag
is free again for regional routes. This applies in Nederland, Belgium and
Germany. In other countries the tag network_type creates the option to
register node networks in OSM if they are implemented, without reserving a
mode/scope network=XXn tag which may be already in use for regular routes
(conform the wiki's about routes).

Please feel free to offer other solutions!

Fr gr Peter Elderson