On Tue, 1 Oct 2019 at 19:40, Jorge Aguirre <jorge.agui...@kaart.com> wrote:

The addresses that utilize ‘Km’ as part of the actual address are always
> related to a specific 'highway:milestone’ on that particular highway. For
> instance, the address for the Hilton Guatemala Vista Real Hotel in
> Guatemala - as it appears on their official website: [
> https://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/guatemala/hilton-guatemala-city-GUALLHH/index.html]
> - is ‘Km. 9.5 CA-1 East Vista Real Complex, Guatemala City, 01015’. What
> this means is the location is 500 meters from where the
> 'highway:milestone=9’ on that particular ‘CA-1 East’ highway...

I think we're close to hitting the record for how misleading a tag name can
be.

This is a proposal for a tag addr:milestone to allow us to specify a
distance in kilometres
(not miles), of a house (not a milestone) and the nearest milestone isn't a
stone but a sign.
If the locals call the road markers (marked in kilometres and which are not
stones)
milestones then there is some slight justification for addr:milestone.  But
only slight,
because the address doesn't give the nearest "milestone" but a distance
along a road.

If I understand you correctly, this is actually a distance along a
particular highway.  A distance
from where, exactly?  A highway has two ends, and there may be a milestone
(that is neither
a stone, nor marked in miles) 9km from each end.  I assume that since the
address
is in Guatemala City, that would be what is used for addr:city; I also
assume that since
the street is CA-1 East, that would be what is used for addr:street.
Therefore the only
other thing required would be addr:distance to specify the distance from
addr:city
along addr:street.

Unless the locals call road markers "milestones" and think of the "9.5km"
in terms of
milestones, addr:milestone is a horrific misnomer and addr:distance better.

--
Paul