>  I am not against distinguishing more types of cycling routes, I am all for
> it, as long as it's verifyable, mappable with clear tagging, and manageable.

+1

I started using Openstreetmap because I wanted to add touring routes
and recreational bike routes in RideWithGPS and then found out that
http://ridewithgps.com uses Openstreetmap data which I could edit. And
I get to work and take kids to school and shop by bike - I haven't
owned a car for 9 years.

So I would love to have more information about what streets and roads
are best for getting from point A to B, and which ones are nice for
training rides and which ones are fun for tours.

But tags have to be verifiable: if the next mapper can't confirm that
a tag as right, the data in Openstreetmap will not be maintained
properly. Subjective tags cannot work.

I have seen this happen: before I mapped here, I used to try to
improve the bike routes in Portland Oregon for Google Maps. But since
there was no definition of a "preferred" bicycle street, and it was
hard to delete a preferred route once it was added, the bike layer was
full of disconnected segments. Some were from old city maps of bike
routes, some were based on the personal preference of the mapper, and
some were actually signed or marked on the ground, but you couldn't
tell them apart.

If there is a sign or marking that specifies that a certain route is
designed for mountain bikes or for bike racing, then sure, you can tag
that. But most bike routes do not have anything to specify that they
are more for commuting or more for recreation, and in that case we
can't tag the distinction.

Fortunately, database users (like routing applications) can look at
other Openstreetmap data, like surface=* tags on ways, and external
data like elevation models, to determine if a route is a difficult
single-track trail through the hills versus a flat paved path along a
canal, and use this to help route cyclists appropriately.

- Joseph Eisenberg