In Nederland, St Jacobs Routes (Camino's to Compostela) are not
waymarked/signposted/trailblazed.

Several organisations claim to be THE authority, describing main and
alternative routes, selling organized pilgrimage or guides and travel
books, checking the described roads and passages on the ground, and
offering gpx-tracks.

We do not map those, because they are not visible on the ground. Only when
a choice has been made and the route (probably with a number of alternative
routes) is waymarked will we map them, because they can be seen on the
road. Until then it's not a real object. Anyone can make up his or her own
camino. However, when you talk to any one of the organisations, they will
insist that their routes are fixed.

I very strongly prefer only to map routes according to real markings on the
ground, however scarce.

Best, Peter Elderson