On 3/2/20 5:49 pm, European Water Project wrote:
 amenity = fountain
drinking_water=yes

Is the best way to tag this.

The summary for amenity=fountain says:

"A fountain for cultural / decorational / recreational purposes.

This might range from the usual fountain that you'll find in lots of city centers, up to large fountains like the Trevi Fountain in Rome that can act as a landmark and is also a tourism <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:tourism>=attraction <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tourism%3Dattraction>.

The water of those fountains is often not suitable for drinking. "

I don't think amenity=fountain is suitable at all for drinking fountains.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:S%C3%A3o_Jo%C3%A3o_das_Lampas_Fontan%C3%A1rio.jpg

    > What's the best way of tagging these fountains? They're not
    decorative,
    > they're utilitarian architectonic structures made to deliver
    drinking
    > water.
    > amenity=fountain doesn't seem to fit here, neither
    > amenity=drinking_water.

    amenity=drinking_water is used for;

    streams that people drink from

    wells  that people drink from

    taps that people drink from

    blubbers that people drink from

    fountains that people drink from

    As such it is very non descriptive! More of a property key like
    drinking_water=yes.

    Some alternatives?

    man_made=drinking _fountain. Not popular for some, warning I made it.

    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Ddrinking_fountain

    See also

    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Dwater_tap