While doing my regular comparison of different sets of presets (see my
talk at SotM Milano for more information), one of the more noticeable
differences  is the the presets that I maintain, and by extension JOSM,
does not include building=civic. This was introduced later than
building=public and by some wiki-fiddling and leveraging iD, has now
outstripped the "public" value considerably in popularity.

In any case the question is here any actual differentiation between the
two values, or are they effectively synonyms and just one needs to be
presented?*

Simon

*If that is the case then iD is oddly inconsistent in that it replaces
amenity=public_building with building=public, but uses building=civic
when searching for "public building".