Although I also see a lot of overlap, I could imagine public buildings to be a
bigger category of which civic buildings are only a part, according to your
culture and context, one could imagine public buildings that aren’t civic
buildings such as churches and temples.

Yes. OED defines 'public building' as 'a building used by the public for any purpose, such as assembly, education, entertainment, or worship', and even quotes a 19th-century Act of Parliament: '"Public building" shall mean every building used as a church, chapel, or other place of public worship; also every building used for purposes of public instruction; also every building used as a college, public hall, hospital, theatre, public concert room, public ball room, public lecture room, public exhibition room, or for any other public purposes.'

Whether that's what it means in OSM is another matter.

--
Steve