Two illustrations based on data from Taginfo, have been added to the
staleness wiki. They show very highly concentrated tag and key
distributions.

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Rarely_verified_and_third-party_data_staleness_in_OpenStreetMap#OpenStreetMap_Key.2FTag_distribution_analysis

While it doesn’t seem clear whether or not these highly concentrated
distributions imply data staleness or quality, I decided to share the
illustrations because the results seemed surprising:

The total number of keys present on 57 or fewer tags in the OpenStreetMap
database represent 80% of the 76,177 keys (60,952/76,177).

74,938 out of 76,177 keys are used on just 1% of all tags in the
OpenStreetMap database.

Just 42 keys out of 76,177 keys are present on 80% of all tags
(1.7Bn/2.1Bn) in the OpenStreetMap database.

Best regards,

Stuart