Am Fr., 26. Juni 2020 um 19:47 Uhr schrieb Paul Allen <pla16...@gmail.com>:

> In British English we have tea shops - they also sell coffee and food.  We
> have
> coffee shops - they also sell tea and food.  Functionally, they are cafes,
> as
> OSM tags define that term.

I believe it is an omission of the early days that we do not distinguish
between tea shops and coffee shops, they are quite different. In my home
town there is a tea shop, (mostly) ladies meet there, they do not sell any
coffee but have a wide variety of tea, which you can consume on the
premises but also take home (they have lots of containers and will weigh
and fill the tea you ask in paper bags, they have fine qualities of tea,
they do not sell any food AFAIK but there may be some cookies, etc.) while
in most cafes you will not get very good tea, at most some better quality
tea bag tea.

> As these things have been described by later posts, they're closer to
> fast food places than cafes, but for drinks rather than food.

+1 (bubble tea)

Whatever
> main tag we settle on, I think beverages is better than bubble_tea since
> the proposal already included drink:bubble_tea=yes.

no, shop=beverages as I have only seen it applied, is about a kind of
"supermarket" or "convenience store" for beverages, it is not a kind of
cafe, fast food or whatever category of food and drink amenity we come up
with.

> Then we can deal
> with a shop that has no seats and sells only hot coffee to take away.  Or
> iced tea.  Or fresh juices made from whole fruit on the spot.  Or whatever.

all these are not a kind of "supermarket" "convenience shop" ...

Cheers
Martin