On Mon, 6 Jul 2020 at 21:42, Joseph Eisenberg <joseph.eisenb...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> According to the wiki page about building=terrace, it is usually best
> practice to map each house as a separate area (closed way) object.
>
> "A more detailed and recommended alternative is to map each dwelling
> separately using building
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:building>=house
> <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dhouse>, but keeping
> at least two nodes in common for adjoining houses."
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:building%3Dterrace
>
> If you map each house individually, it is not necessary to map the whole
> outline of the row of houses.

Based purely upon my own idiosyncratic interpretation, I came to the
conclusion that I would use building=terrace for a row of terraced houses
where I did not have the time to ascertain the numbers on a survey or
was working from aerial imagery.  I view it as a placeholder.  There are
some house there but I don't know where the individual boundaries are
and I can only give you a range of addresses, if that.

Then, after having replaced a terrace mapped by somebody else with
individual houses, I came to the conclusion that I wouldn't bother mapping
things as terraces - too much effort for too little gain if I intended to
replace them at a future date.

I see no point in wrapping individually-mapped houses in a terrace.  If
they're conjoined then it's already obvious that they're part of a terrace.

--
Paul