On Sunday 02 August 2020, Paul Norman via Tagging wrote:

> I would consider an area mapped as water both with natural=coastline
> and waterway=riverbank or natural=water in error. I haven't seen any
> cases where this is done.

It is long term established practice at the Elbe and Weser in Germany:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/57390762
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/250290462

https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/28115705

If you consider that incorrect you also have to ask yourself if you draw
the same conclusion for natural=bay and natural=strait polygons:

Even though the overall range of positions is not that large the
specific placement of the coastline closure is often not done with a
lot of consideration.  That would certainly very much improve if we had
visual feedback on the water differentiation in OSM-Carto:

https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/pull/4128

--
Christoph Hormann
http://www.imagico.de/