Oct 11, 2022, 12:27 by dieterdre...@gmail.com:

> sent from a phone
>

>> On 11 Oct 2022, at 11:30, Davidoskky via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
>> wrote:
>>

>> Nobody is tagging the specific model type, such as distinguishing
>> nasone from the 1960s and nasone from the 1990s.
>>

>> Should we introduce another key for the style and then tag the      specific
>> model of the fountain style as new_key=nasone,      new_key:model=model_1960?
>>

> I still haven’t discovered the problem with fountain=nasone. If you are not
> in Rome you will hardly ever come in contact with it, if you are in Rome, you
> will easily find out what it is about. If you don’t evaluate fountain=nasone
> in your app, it will gracefully degrade to amenity=drinking_water.
>
> When we tag a “model” it will sooner or later become a geek tag which would
> indeed distinguish a 60ies from a 90ies nasone :D

main problems are that either

- editor will need to handle specific models as values
- this values will be not supported by editors and mappers will use less
specific values
(this is not a problem if mappers using model values will never, ever complain
to mappers using only generic values and will never, ever complain to
authors of editing software and noone will suggest adding support for model
values in editing software

what is impossible to achieve)

And also
- there is no graceful degradation to "it is drinking fountain"
- wiki documentation pages are more confusing as result