Of course, this is not the key I'm actually proposing. I just don't want to get in another discussion about semantics and thus I would like to simply discuss the need of such a key without defining the actual name.

If people agree that such key is required I will then try to find, together with you, an appropriate name for such key.

Scouring the wiki I found a key that might be perfect for this: model=* https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:model

It has over 32,000 uses and it is used to define the model of several different features.

I will prepare a proposal for this now; since this key is already affirmed and approved we just need to approve that it should be used for fountains as well.

Some use the main_feature:model namespace, but in this case it shouldn't be required since we are describing the model of the primary feature (the fountain). Counting those tags as well the count of uses is over 43,000.