On Oct 10, 2022, at 3:22 PM, Davidoskky via Tagging <tagging@openstreetmap.org>
wrote:
>> Don't think it really needs anything more than you said earlier:
>>
>> amenity=fountain + fountain=decorative / utility / drinking
>>
>> should cover it?

Graeme, no, this isn't enough, as it oversimplifies too much.

> No, this is not enough to cover the features that are currently tagged, thus
> this would be a regression.
>
> Currently you can tag nasone, toret, roman_wolf and wallace which are
> specific models/styles of drinking fountains. For example, nasone is a
> particular type of fountain present in Rome; all fountains of this type look
> the same. Deleting information about them being a nasone and simply tagging
> them as fountain=drinking would mean losing information; this means that if
> you're in Rome and you check for the presence of drinking fountains you
> cannot discern which ones are a nasone and which ones are not. Having lived
> in Rome I can tell you that this is important information and that people
> actually do search for this kind of things (as long as it's easy enough).
>
> These should be, in my opinion, fountain=drinking,
> new_key_describing_fountain_style=nasone.

While I regret not being able to "spin up" (as if by magic, and in the
interests of "positive criticism") a fully complete scheme for all of this
(including fountain, water_tap, drinking water, etc.), I do not like very much
at all the key "new_key_describing_fountain_style" — if that is really a
literal key you (Davidoskky) are proposing here.  If it is a place-holder for
what we eventually decide upon FOR the semantics of that key, then OK, I'm
nodding my head and continue to listen / read.