I've heard the assertion that a way has no name but the route that passes
over it does many times.  While this is true in some cases, in others it is
not.  Where the primary purpose of the way is not for the route, this does
make sense.  For example mentioned by Jmapb where the Appalachian trail
follows an unnamed driveway or sidewalk.  In these cases, the primary
purpose is a driveway or sidewalk for local use, and the Appalachian Trail
just happens to follow it as well.  Here putting the name Appalachian Trail
on the way makes no sense.  However, there are also dedicated sections of
trail built first and foremost to be a part of the Appalachian Trail and
that have no other name.  Omitting the name Appalachian Trail in a case
like that makes no sense to me.  That section of trail is indeed called the
Appalachian Trail.  The whole route is also called the Appalachian Trail
and that's ok.