Users in Algeria were asked to map motorway surface in tunnels, based
on aerial imagery.

It become marked as surface=ground, see
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/490378286/history

adding surface to motorways is of so dubious utility that for example
StreetComplete is not asking to specify such surface if missing.

Overall effort/effect ratio is really bad here and effect may be more negative
than positive.

I agree that mapping surface on more minor roads is useful and in fact I am
right now coding a better support for that in StreetComplete (surface overlay).

But mapping surface of motorways seems to not be a good use of time,
and asking others to do this is quite surprising.

Hmmmm, maybe I should implement
"motorways are assumed to be concrete/asphalt" in StreetComplete surface
overlay.

Feb 3, 2023, 10:23 by walker.t.brad...@gmail.com: