TomTom has created the same challenge for the Netherlands:
https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/37471

Just days before that challenge was created, I had a discussion on Discord
with some other Dutch mappers. I thought it would be easy to tag all
remaining highway=motorway without a surface tag in NL with
surface=asphalt, since 81% already had this tag and there were no other
surface tags present (except a handful on highway=motorway_link). I was
quickly proven wrong as one mapper then found a bridge with a concrete
surface and tagged it accordingly. It may be the only highway=motorway
section in NL, but it demonstrates that my assumption that everything was
asphalt was wrong and there is some merit in tagging the surface
explicitly.

I don't see what's wrong with these MR challenges by TomTom. Of course you
can totally ignore them if all you care about is paved / unpaved, but if
you want to know more specifics, then explicitly tagged surfaces on
motorways still have some value.