On Thu, Apr 25, 2024 at 10:13 AM Christoph Hormann <o...@imagico.de> wrote:

> [...] you can try to record semantically meaningful information about the
> geographic reality.
>
> [...] Even more clear in that regard is the use of secondary tags like
> snowmobile=yes, ice_road=yes, surface=ice.

I don't think anyone objects to recording "semantically meaningful"
information, and clearly those three tags suggested are rather low in their
ambiguity.

The main value of the highway tag (trunk, primary, and so forth) has no
clear semantic meaning beyond their relative importance with respect to
each other. There are a few exceptions to this, like in the UK and Ireland
where they correspond exactly and perfectly to a government classification
system.  However, for most of the world the distinction between them is
rather subjective and arbitrary.  In some places, the =trunk tag in
particular has been applied to roads meeting a certain physical
characteristic, which I consider a harmful trend as it makes the tag much
less useful for consumers trying to determine which zoom level to draw
certain roads at. "The most important roads in Antarctica are trunk" is no
more or less correct than "all roads in Antarctica are track" (in order to
draw out the most extreme positions).  Antarctica is not the only outlier,
we have similar debates for roads in Alaska for similar reasons, and I
suspect other similarly sparse areas of the globe have similar challenges.

All this to say, I'm not sure we should be sweating which tag to use on
these roads all that much.