On Fri, 12 Dec 2008, Ian Sergeant wrote:
> > I plan on submitting a proposal for the roundabout tag, where you
> > can add it to a node like a mini_roundabout, for use in simple
> > suburban type roundabouts. Something like junction:
> > inner_width=3mcould specify the island size, making it possible for
> > pretty rendering. Weird intersecting ways or large roundabouts would
> > have to continue as is.
>
> Oddly enough, these seems almost completely contrary to what Darrin is
> arguing, and aligns well with that I would like to see happen.  I really
> don't care whether the tag is called mini_roundabout or something else, I
> think the junction is best represented by a single node.  Darrin believes
> that it is better represented by have a loop.

I'm trying to work out a way through the maze, and produce an answer which
will be acceptable to all parties.
I'm trying to understand Darrin's arguments, but when I have tried to
summarise my understanding, he has rejected my summary.

I was thinking of another node descriptor, which was "highway=roundabout", as
distinct from the "junction=roundabout" which is applied to a loop way.
There is certainly evidence of a variety of mappers using a node descriptor
for roundabouts in Australia, and my understanding was that Darrin's biggest
bugbear was mini_roundabout.