On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 20:29:08 -0800 (PST)
bluemm1975-...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Early on in my OSM career, I changed a freeway that was from a GPS
> but the track wasn't accurate compared to nearby tracks/traces. So I
> deleted it and traced from Yahoo, with lots of nodes along bends to
> make them smooth. I found it easier to delete the old way than moving
> a stack of nodes in Potlatch, especially since it was a dual
> carriageway. BTW, you can align Yahoo imagery in Potlatch, as long as
> you have a few good points to align with (like an accurate GPS track
> of a curvy road).

Now I begin to understand the complaints of Ross last year in July with
respect to people doing tracing of roads. Given when I put a GPS
tracked way in one of the points for doing so is to remove the
dependence on yahoo for that way, and your previous post and Ross's
reply suggest the only clean way to do that is to completely remove the
old way, anyone who adds any road from yahoo is just making more work
for GPS mappers.

If this is the accepted correct practice then I think I might be
jumping to Ross's side of the fence and frowning upon yahoo tracings
of roads. This quote from his original email sums it up how I'd feel
about it:

"So my suggestion is instead of tracing roads, trace things that can not
be easily surveyed.  eg railway lines, rivers, powerlines."

Of course that goes against the idea of getting a core amount of data
in there to get people using things :/

I guess it just means those who want to make GPS tracks have to do even
more work than they already do travelling around getting the tracks and
collecting data. The price of quality I guess.

--

=b