I too "found the light" after following the Talk mailing list, but had
already done ~8 months of tracing :-( Slowly fixing that up now.
I too think that data that has no source/source:name/source:ref tags
etc. is not trustworthy, but is better than nothing (because someone
can now see that it needs to be verified, & goes out and does a survey).

Your example is a bit tough, I don't think there is consensus yet on how
to mark up the extra details. Given that, I'd expect:
   source=yahoo   name=blah   source:name=MMBW
then something like:
   oneway:source=knowledge   traffic_calming:source=gps

Smushing all sources into the one source=* tag is probably the worst way
of doing it

PS. It seems it's an anomaly that source:name isn't name:source, I think
    it was for grouping source tags when sorted alphabetically. Looking
    at Tagwatch, both are popular, but source:name is more so. I believe
    some tools handle either format.

IIRK, one of the OSM founders said on Talk, source=gps is better than
source=survey, as survey implies a professional survey with surveying
equipment, for example from public domain government data.

BTW, Potlatch has source=* shortcut keys, JOSM & Merkaartor probably do
too.

I don't think it's intractable problem, with crowdsourcing, good tools &
leadership on "best practices" by the experienced, it's solvable.

I think of source:name as a series of levels, where you can overwrite a
source with a higher one:
 1. source:name=image (GPS tagged photo's the best)
 2. source:name=voice
 3. source:name=survey (poorly named, but for a notepad etc.)
 4. source:name=knowledge
 5. source:name=MMBW/Collins1936 (Out-of-copyright)
 6. source:name=historical

I use survey, writing in my PDA's notepad application & save as PNG's on
my computer as an evidence trail. I should probably use
source:name=notepad to be explicit. When you think about it, almost all
could be doctored (from a copyright source) except for photo's, so I
think that's the ultimate goal (all street signs/POI have a
corresponding GPS tagged photo of them), yep, a lot of work.
Maybe I should get around to buying a GPS :-)

source=* is different, since just because you tweak a few road bends from
a GPS track doesn't mean it wasn't derived from Yahoo tracing.
I'd suggest source=yahoo;gps in that case.
Of course I'm not a copyright lawyer, but that seems to make sense to me.
I can't imagine a scenario where is would be ok to change the source on
a road from a government import, just because someone drove down the
road wih their GPS. It still is derived from the Government data.

Cheers,
BlueMM