--- On Tue, 9/6/09, James Livingston <doc...@mac.com> wrote:

> To use the river/streams example from above,
> I'd say that if you have the chance to _accurately_
> trace a waterway, it might be worth doing before most of the
> things. Other people who come along later will be able to
> get the roads, but they may not have a boat to go down the
> river on.

That's a tough call, on one hand if people usually don't travel along those
ways they aren't as important, but at the same time I get your point and agree
with it so I guess it would depend on it's deemed importanance  over all? That
is are we building a map so people can navigate water ways?

As for plotting water ways in general I had a bit of a joke floating round in
the back of my mind for the last few days about making some kind of GPS bouy
that you could send down the river, something like the solar powered data
logger might even be practical.

However retreiving the bouy, especially in western rivers would be more time
consuming than taking a kayak and doing it manually yourself since it would
likely get caught up on branches/debris, snagged in fences across water ways,
stolen/vandalised etc. Not to mention when the rivers flaten out they take
forever to get anywhere.