On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Mark Pulley <mrpul...@lizzy.com.au> wrote:

> In light of the recent discussion on this list, maybe we should decide
> on which tag to use prior to making extensive changes like these,

I agree. IMHO extensive, (semi-)automated changes should be limited
*at least* to tags that have been clearly made in error (e.g. spelling
mistakes) and never to tags that could be reasonably expected to have
been intended by the original author to have a different meaning.

Tags that are not VERY clearly defined in the wiki (as a guide) should
be left alone. Given that source=survey and source=GPS are *both not
defined* on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source, these
should have been left alone.

A similar thing happened to me when a shop I tagged as
shop=photography (I meant, they *take* photos, etc.) was changed to
shop=photo (which I would have taken to mean, they *develop* photos,
etc.): http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/488744910/history

> especially as there is so far no agreement on what "source=survey"
> actually means, whereas "source=GPS" is pretty obvious.

The debate re: source=survey vs. source=GPS is a separate issue, and I
have no comment on it right now.