From what I've read I now will go back to source=survey and add the tag
survey=gps.  I will consider further the advantages of further definition to
GPS type (I think that could well end up in a Commodore/Falcon and
Landcruiser/Patrol debate).

I do want to say though that I do appreciate the attention you guys give to
such matters.  When I am confident enough to comment beyond a newbie I hope to
add constuctively to some of the serious stuff.

Dan

________________________________
From: Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com>
To: talk-au@openstreetmap.org
Sent: Thursday, 24 September, 2009 2:07:49 PM
Subject: Re: [talk-au] More on the survey tag

> If source=GPS (or source=gps) is unallowable, then why is it a preset
> in Potlatch?

No idea, whoever wrote the presets for potlatch probably thinks it's a good
idea but did not read the wiki.

> I'd prefer to stick to the guidelines, rather than making up tags - as
> long as I know what the guidelines actually are!

Then RTFW, it's on the map features page and source=survey is "a core
recommended feature set and corresponding tag" and states:

source | survey | gpx track or other physical survey

If you feel that it needs to be amplified that the survey is from gps then add
"survey=gps" or "note=survey by gps", this is the intent of the "add your own
tags".

But most would understand that it's from a gps survey rather than using
theodolite/compass and chain/etc

--
Cheers
Ross