On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Ross Scanlon <i...@4x4falcon.com> wrote:
>> > Tags that are not VERY clearly defined in the wiki (as a guide) should
>> > be left alone. Given that source=survey and source=GPS are *both not
>> > defined* on http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source, these
>> > should have been left alone.
>
> source=survey is in the wiki here:
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features#Annotation
>
> and it's quite specific
>
> source | survey | gpx track or other physical survey
>
> ie you went and physically surveyed the area
>
> source=gps/GPS/GPS trace  is not there at all and should not be used.

If source=gps is indeed unallowable,
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:source should be cleaned up,
and the "User Defined values" section should be removed.

I would still suggest to err on the side of caution when doing
(semi)-automatic tag changes, beyond perhaps obvious spelling
mistakes. This is a general suggestion, relevant also to the
shop=photo vs shop=photography example I gave.

If Mark wants to use source=gps rather than source=survey, because he
feels it conveys a different meaning, then in the spirit of using "any
tags you like", I think he should be free to do so.