Hi,

I dont know much about shonkymaps,
but Im using a Garmin 60Csx with osm+contour maps for bushwalking. I
dont miss any map details, and if, I add them..

My opinion about the device: In comparison to other models, the 60Csx
delivers the best package in terms of accuracy, device layout and price.
The Vista HCx is similar in regards to features, but I dont like the
smaller screen and lack of  buttons.
If you dont need the barometer (what I dont use at all) or the compass
(what I love, especially when reception is poor), then go for the slim
brother of both above mentioned, and save a few bucks.
For a floating (but bulkier) unit, the 76C(s)x has similar/same features.

There are a couple of sites where you can get prebuild OSM images for
Garmin, e.g. here: http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php and here
http://www.osmaustralia.org/garmin.php
However,  thats not ideal for me in terms of rendering, so Im creating
custom maps from OSM data using mkgmap.
I am about halfway through the process of creating proper rendering
rules and TYP files for my two main purposes: hiking and mapping.
If someone else is using mkmap, Im happy to exchange about the scripts
and rules Im using.

Cheers,
Ben