I'll look into shonkymaps.
Thats probably a good backup where OSM still needs improvement.

I didnt go for the 76, because its too bulky for me.
The 60 series is waterproof to the same standard (IPX7) as the 76. I
have tied the device properly to my boat or myself whenever Im on the water.
This compensated floating for me, and on the car or on the bike, I can
enjoy the better button placement of the 60er. (buttons belong _below_
the display for me..)

For the maps, Im preparing a micropage to host my scripts and other
files, as there is a bit more required than just a short mail to render
custom IMG-maps.
Will post that here when its up.

For the contour-maps, I am using http://www.lizarddrinking.net/ which is
made from SRTM maps.
Im tried to render shaded contour maps, but this seems like a difficult
process and is further down on my list. The lizard contours are just
lines, but they are well made (regarding zoom levels), and using sendmap
(http://www.cgpsmapper.com/) you can combine those maps with the osm and
shonky.
This will create several layers (in a single mapfile) on the GPSr, what
you can (de)select on the go.

-Ben