Hi Ben,

Thanks.

> I dont know much about shonkymaps,
> but Im using a Garmin 60Csx with osm+contour maps for bushwalking. I
> dont miss any map details, and if, I add them..

Shonkymaps are topos so that when osm is not available I'll still have
maps available.

> My opinion about the device: In comparison to other models, the 60Csx
> delivers the best package in terms of accuracy, device layout and price.
> The Vista HCx is similar in regards to features, but I dont like the
> smaller screen and lack of  buttons.
> If you dont need the barometer (what I dont use at all) or the compass
> (what I love, especially when reception is poor), then go for the slim
> brother of both above mentioned, and save a few bucks.
> For a floating (but bulkier) unit, the 76C(s)x has similar/same features.

The 60Csx and 76Csx are what I had been looking at.  Probably the 76
because it floats and we will possibly be using it in wet areas.

> However,  thats not ideal for me in terms of rendering, so Im creating
> custom maps from OSM data using mkgmap.
> I am about halfway through the process of creating proper rendering
> rules and TYP files for my two main purposes: hiking and mapping.
> If someone else is using mkmap, Im happy to exchange about the scripts
> and rules Im using.

I'd be interested in these, particularly if you can use the NASA SRTM
contour data as I've got this setup on the invehicle PC and it's very
useful.

Cheers
Ross